Saving an Excel Spreadsheet as a Pipe-Delimited File
I spent at least twenty minutes today trying to save an Excel Spreadsheet and a pipe-delimited CSV file. Every setting was tested but nothing I could find would save the damn spreadsheet as a pipe-delimited CSV file.
It turns out that this can done using the regional and language options in you PC's Control Panel.
- Click "Start," then select "Settings," then "Control Panel." Click on "Regional and Language Options."
- Click on the button labeled "Customize" and highlight the data in the field labeled "List Separator." Type the pipe delimiter "|" in the field replacing the previous list separator.
- Click "OK" on the window titled "Customize Regional Options." Click "OK" on the window titled "Regional and Language Options."
- Open Excel and create the content you wish to save in the pipe-delimited format.
- Click on "File" on the Excel menu bar then select the option "Save As."
- Input the name for the file in the text field labeled "File name" and select the value "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)."
- Click on the button labeled "Save" to save the file to your computer as a pipe-delimited format.